Giving Your Child The Dental Care They Deserve
Despite our pediatric dentist’s best efforts, some kids will still experience fear or anxiety whenever it comes to having a dental procedure. Gratefully, sedation dentistry allows for your loved one to be comfortable, feel no pain, and have no fear throughout the whole procedure. At our pediatric dentistry in Plano, we pride ourselves on giving your child the dental quality care they need while having them calm and relaxed.
Fun Facts To Know About Sedation Dentistry
- There are different types of sedation dentistry for kids
- While many think sedation is a medication to put your child to fall asleep, it is actually to keep your child calm during the procedure not to put their sound asleep
- Your child’s pediatric dentist may recommend sedation treatment for a long procedure, for those who have special needs, or kids who have trouble staying still
Types of Dental Sedation For Kids
Nitrous oxide, or better known as laughing gas, is only a mild sedative that is safe for all ages. Once your son or daughter has settled into the treatment chair, our pediatric dentist will then place a mask over their nose and begin to administer the gas. After only a few minutes, your child should begin to feel much more comfortable allowing for a smooth treatment process.
One of the key benefits of nitrous oxide is that the recovery time is immediate. This means you can take your loved one back to school or if you’re a cool, edgy parent to run errands with you for the remainder of the day.
Our pediatric dentists will recommend having general anesthesia for children with special needs, children who need lengthy procedures and will be uncomfortable sitting down for long periods of time, or children who experience severe fear and anxiety at the dentist.
Before going into this type of sedation, we will closely examine your child’s health and medical history, allergies, medications they take, and any other important information to ensure nothing but the safest treatment for your child.
While patients are undergoing general anesthesia, they will slowly go from a conscious state to a sleep state. During this time, our anesthesiologist will closely examine the patient’s blood pressure, heart rate, breathing rate, and oxygen level. Our primary goal is to make sure your child is safe and comfortable throughout the whole dental treatment.
Home Preparation For Your Kids Before Sedation Treatment
For infants under 12 months
- Up to six hours before the treatment, babies fed formula may be given formula
- For breasted fed babies, they may be nursed up to four hours before their treatment
For all children
- Once it hits midnight the night before the sedation procedure, you shouldn’t give your child any solid foods or any non-clear liquids such as formula, juices with pulp, milk, gum, candy, etc.
- Two hours before their treatment, you can only give your child clear liquids such as Pedialyte, Koolaide, juices such as apple. Milk is not a clear liquid.
Meet Your Plano Sedation Dentist
While sedation dentistry for kids may seem scary at first, we promise to uphold the highest standards in dentistry to ensure the safety of your kid first. Using only the highest technology and keeping up with the latest treatment procedures, our experts at Fusion Orthodontics & Children’s Dentistry are one of the highest-rated sedation dentists in Plano / North Dallas.
If you’re looking to have your child visit a dentist that is both caring and knowledgeable, we promise Dr. Niloo is that pediatric dentist.